Frequently Asked Questions

Are the Summer Intensives open to anyone? 

The Summer Intensives are open to any person, 18 or older, who shows interest in learning more about journalism. Many of the past participants have been undergraduate students who are studying journalism, communications or other related subjects but we have had seasoned journalists come to us as well to learn new skills. People come from all over the United States and all over the world for the Summer Intensives at the CUNY J School. 

What do I need to do to apply and register? 

Step 1 is to make a decision about which Summer Intensive class (or classes) make sense for you. Each class has a limit of 20 people and many of the classes fill up by late March.  After you have filled out the application, you should expect a response within a few days letting you know if you’ve been admitted into the Summer Intensive program. If you want to hold your place in the program, we ask for a $500 deposit for any two-week or any one-week class and a $50 deposit for any Saturday workshop. You will pay the remaining balance on or before June 1, 2017. 

Can I take more than one class? 

Many of our students take more than one intensive. For example, you can take NYC Reporting & Writing from July 10 to July 21 and then take Digital Journalism Skills from July 24 to August 4. As long as the classes don’t overlap, you can select any combination of classes that work for you.

English is not my first language. Do I need to submit a TOEFL score or other test?  

We do not explicitly require the TOEFL or any other exam. If English is not your first language, your level of proficiency should allow you to absorb the material and participate in all activities. In some case, we will request a telephone interview or additional proof of English proficiency. 

I am a foreign student. Do I need to apply for a visa to participate?  

Since this is a short course, you will not need a student or exchange visitor visa. We will provide you with a letter of invitation which will help you to obtain a B1/B2 visitor visa if need be.  

I need a place to stay. What are my options? 

Read about options here

I have other questions. Whom can I contact?  

If you have other questions, please send us a message